Hand-finished box-set contains: album on all black CDr, 12 page string bound booklet, 4 x badge pack, 4 x round stickers, landscape format sticker and individual one-off print. Limited edition of 104.
Audiological explorations by Bare Bones, Magpahi, Polypores, Time Attendant, David Colohan, Sproatly Smith, The Hare And The Moon ft Alaska, The Rowan Amber Mill, The Séance with Lutine, Cosmic Neighbourhood and A Year In The Country.
Free UK shipping. Normally ships in 7-14 days.
The Forest / The Wald is a study and collection of work that reflects on fragments and echoes of tales from the woodland and its folklore.
Such wooded realms are deeply embeded in our folk and popular culture stories: their boughs and undergrowth being seen as places where spirits both good and bad may reside, visitors from elsewhere in the cosmos have laid down roots or where unwary travellers can come undone.
The album takes as one of its initial reference points Electric Eden author Rob Young’s observations of the roots of the word folk as being “…the music of the ‘Volk’, a word born of the Teutonic Wald, the wild wood where society was organised ad hoc, bottom-up and frequently savage…”; places where rituals endured and perplexed their heirs.
Although today they are often tamed and managed it takes but a wandering into the heart of one to realise just how near to being far from the comforts and securities of civilisation we are.
In amongst The Forest / The Wald can be found field recording folk that captures greenwood rituals performed in the modern day, echoes of fantastical childhood rhymes, sylvan siren calls that tremble through tangles of branches, electronics pressed into the summoning of otherworldly arboreal creations unearthed amidst the creeping thickets and elegies to woodland intrustions, solitudes and seasons.
Further encasement details:
1) Booklet/cover art custom printed using archival giclée pigment ink.
2) Contained in a matchbox style sliding two-part rigid matt card box with cover print.
3) Fully black CDr (black on top, black on playable side).
4) Black string bound booklet: 12 pages (6 sides printed);
Printed on textured fine art cotton rag paper, heavy card and semi-transparent vellum.
Hand numbered on the reverse.
5) 4 x badge set, contained in a see-through polythene bag with a folded card header.
6) 4 x vinyl style round stickers.
7) 1 x vinyl style landscape format sticker.
8) One-off print on textured fine art cotton rag paper, hand numbered on the reverse.
Further Audiological Exploration Details:
1) The Abney Ritual – Bare Bones
2) Hawthorn Heart – Magpahi
3) Deep Undergrowth – Polypores
4) Fantastic Mass – Time Attendant
5) Waldeinsamkeit – David Colohan
6) Tomo’s Tale – Sproatly Smith
7) A Whisper In The Woods – The Hare And The Moon ft Alaska
8) Ocarina Procession – The Rowan Amber Mill
9) Trees Grew All Around Her – The Séance with Lutine
10) Equinox – Cosmic Neighbourhood
11) Where Once We Wandered Free – A Year In The Country
Wald considerations by Rob Young.
Artwork / encasement design and fabrication by AYITC Ocular Signals Department.
Audiological Transmission Artifact #6.
Library Reference Numbers: ATA006N
Released as part of the A Year In The Country project, a set of year long journeys through and searching for an expression of an underlying unsettledness to the bucolic countryside dream; an exploration of an otherly pastoralism, a wandering amongst subculture that draws from the undergrowth of the land, the patterns beneath the plough, pylons and amongst the edgelands.